Jaffna is a city on the northern tip of Sri Lanka and it is closer to India than to Colombo. Nallur Kandaswamy is a huge Hindu temple with golden arches and an ornate gopuram tower. By the coast, star-shaped Jaffna Fort was built by the Portuguese in the 17th century and later occupied by the Dutch and British. Jaffna Public Library is a symbol of the city’s post-war regeneration. Jaffna Archaeological Museum has Dutch cannons and pre-colonial artifacts.
Jaffna is full of Hindu tradition, art and creative culture. Jaffna is intriguing, slightly off the beaten path and a very rewarding place to discover the SriLankan Tamil culture.
Things to do in Jaffna:
· Visit the Public Library and Clocktower
· Jaffna Dutch Fort
· Maruthanamadam Anjaneyar Kovil
· Visit the local market
· Keerimalai Natural Pond
· Nallur Kandaswamy Kovil
· St. Mary’s Cathedral
· Nainativu Island, with Nainativu Kovil and Nagadeepa Rajamaha Viharaya
· Delft Island (Nedunvitu)
· Kadurugoda Raja Maha Vihara
· Fort Hammenhiel
· Kankesanthurai, most Northern trainstation and lighthouse
· Elephant Pass War Monument
· Tour along colonial buildings.
· Point Pedro, most Northern Point of Sri Lanka
· Nilavarai Well